Thursday, July 9, 2015

CVS MINUTE CLINIC.... In my opinion... DON'T GO!!!

I swore I would never step foot in a CVS minute clinic after a MUMPS ( yes I said MUMPS)diagnosis for my then 9 year old back in January that turned out to be an case of strep throat. Two weeks ago my sweet little three year old Suri had had a couple of restless nights and woke up coughing to the point of vomiting. On a Sunday morning she was complaining of ear pain so I was pretty confident in my "Mommy Powers" that she was suffering for an ear infection. This is not new to her or to me having dealt with chronic ear infections. Our pediatrician office is not open on Sunday so I attempted to take her to Doctors Express but it was extremely busy and had a very long wait.  So I thought something as simple as an ear infection would be a simple diagnosis so we were off to the minute clinic. She saw the nurse practitioner  and she seemed to be confident that she was okay just some drainage and sinus pressure and there was no need for a antibiotics, etc. 

So a week passed and she actually seemed to be doing well. Then this past Tuesday evening she began to run a temperature and was lifeless. Yesterday morning I set out to have her reexamined still feeling in my gut that it was her ears or she had picked up strep throat on weekend away. After calling our pediatrician they could not see her until today and suggested an urgent care. So I headed to Doctors Express who had a 2 1/2 hour wait so again, I said... let's just go to the minute clinic. This is something easy... we saw the same practitioner ..... Again I was told there was no infection and that she probably had just a virus and to just watch her temperature and if went above 102 and was not manageable with fever reducer then to have her seen again and the virus could last for about 5 days.

So I dropped my sweet girl off with her big brother while I had meetings and errands.  Eli called me around 5:15 stating that she was lethargic and was just not acting right. At this point the doctors office is closed and I really did not want to visit the ER unless it was necessary. So I told him to meet me at Doctors Express with her.  Luckily there was no wait when I pulled my lifeless baby from her car seat. When we got inside they took her straight back and her temperature was 104.5 with fever reducer. The gave her more medication and sent the doctor in immediately. The doctor said her ear was EXTREMELY infected and that her throat was so bad he made me look. I have no idea how the child was even breathing it was so swollen. The doctor was furious and quickly told me to avoid the minute clinic and he had a few choice words that I will not blog at this point. My baby had to have two shots, her ears cleaned out  in order to get drops to the ear drum and came home with 4 prescriptions.

Thank God she is feeling much better. I am blogging all of this to just make you all informed. If you have those "mommy or daddy powers" and have that feeling that something is just not right go with it and make sure they are okay. Untreated infection and strep can be DEADLY. Three times now my kids have been misdiagnosed through the CVS clinic and if I had just trusted them and not my "mommy powers" my babies could have ended up in critical condition or even dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment